Sulphur Springs is a city in Hopkins County, Texas, in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 15,449. It is the county seat of Hopkins County. Sulphur Springs is located along the western edge of Northeast Texas. Sulphur Springs derives its modern name from the fact that when the area was first settled, springs of sulfur water were abundant. Long before the first European-American settlers arrived, Native American tribes had occupied the areas around the springs and used them for their therapeutic value.
The settlers also gathered around the springs. The town developed around this area from the late 1840s. Eli Bib, one of the first European-American settlers, ran a store from his cabin, selling staples, whiskey, persimmon beer, and slabs of ginger cake. In 1849, Dr. and Mrs. Davis moved into the area. Dr. Davis envisioned the spot as a future city.