Findlay is a city in and the county seat of Hancock County, Ohio, United States.
In the War of 1812, Colonel James Findlay of Cincinnati built a road and a stockade to transport and shelter troops in the Great Black Swamp region. This stockade was named Fort Findlay in his honor. At the conclusion of the war, the community of Findlay was born. The first town lots were laid out in 1821 by the future Ohio Governor Joseph Vance and Elnathan Corry.
Before the Civil War, Findlay was a stop for slaves along the Underground Railroad.